Host families generally look after a child who attend a boarding school in the UK and whose parents are based abroad. It may just be for a weekend, a half term holiday week or in some cases for a longer period of time. Whatever the duration of stay it is really important that you welcome the child into your home and make them feel part of your family. They want to feel that they have a home from home, in a happy, caring and safe environment.
Host families vary in age, size and backgrounds. We match our students to suitable families, where they will be well cared for, supervised, and included in family life. We try to place the student in the same host family whenever possible to make them feel more at home.
In order for a person to be a suitable host family they:
- should be sensible, responsible and capable of caring for a child who may be vulnerable
- should have a permanent or semi-permanent suitable place of residence in the UK, independent of any educational institution
- should not be required regularly to be overseas
- should agree to and pass the necessary safeguarding checks required under current legislation and best practice.
We also ask for host families to meet a number of common sense requirements:
- English must be main language spoken
- The communal areas must be clean and maintained at all times
- The room(s) provided must be clean, comfortable, well lit with natural light, have a bed, sufficient heating, ventilation, storage for clothes and use of a table or desk
- Bed linen and towels are provided and changed weekly
- Regular access to the bathroom as per a member of the family
- Assistance to find his or her way to school on their first day